Here are some things you should remember:
- Since we release shows on YouTube, we're limited to a program length of 10 minutes. There are only so many stories that can be wedged into that amount of time.
- Submitting the same Story Tip (or virtually identical ones) over and over will not sway us, and may cause us to block you from making further submissions. Please: One submission per Story Tip per person. Thanks!
- If your Story Tip submission is used, we want to acknowledge your good deed in the credits at the end of the show. If you don't tell us how you want to be acknowledged, we'll use the usename portion of your email address. That means if your email address is "firstname.lastname@example.org", you will be credited as "thing1", unless, in your email, you say you want to be credited as "Owen Mapletree".
- If your Story Tip was not used, please don't take it personally... the News Media is completely mental, and there's a lot of fodder out there, although not all of it fits the NewsUndies format. Don't be discouraged. Try again later, with a different Story Tip.
- Please don't submit fully-written stories. They're called Story Tips, because we write the story to be used in the show. Please don't take it personally.
- Story Tip submissions become the property of Paul Tourville.
Here are some guidelines we'd like you to keep in mind:
- NewsUndies stories are based on actual news events, which, for whatever reason, should not be news, for example "Pope Take Dump, Feels Relief" might be a good story idea, since if you replace "The Pope" with your name or mine, no one would care.
- We try to keep NewsUndies current, so, please, don't submit anything that happened more than two weeks ago (unless it is an event that happened two or more weeks ago, and there is ongoing reporting, like the collapse of the US auto industry)
- There needs to be a possibility of a funny angle.
- Please include at least one link to supporting materials on the web.
Story Types commonly used on NewsUndies:
- Sycophantic behavior of News Media ("Pope Takes Dump, Feels Relief")
- Citizen Insanity ("Man Poisons Own Children to Defraud Soup Company")
- Politicians missing the point ("Congressman Promotes Bill Promoting Religion")
- Religious figures out of their depth ("Pat Robertson Blames 9-11 on Gays and Abortion")
- Technological stupidity ("Microsoft Continues Promotion of Vista")